Saturday, February 5, 2011

cheesecake and a challenge

I told you in my last post that I would post the cheesecake recipe as well as the lemon curd topping that I made to go with it. I also have something that I would like you to hold me accountable for *gulp* but I will share that after the recipe. First thing's first....

*Side note: This is a recipe for an authentic cheesecake. If you are looking for something cheap and easy this would not be the recipe for you. If you are looking for something that is comparable or better than the Cheesecake Factory, this is it.

Philadelphia New York Cheesecake


1 individual package honey grahams, crushed (I use my food processor)
1 C (I use about 1 1/3C), plus 3 TBS sugar, divided
3TBS butter melted
5 -8oz pkg. cream cheese, softened (it is BEST to do this by letting them sit on your counter top. It is really tricky to do this in the microwave without them getting clumpy)
3 TBSP flour
1TBS vanilla (I always use a little more and I use vanilla bean paste--noticeably better but equally more expensive) 
1 C sour cream
4 eggs
topping of choice (lemon curd recommended :)


1.) Preheat oven to 325F. Prepare spring form pan. Mix crumbs, melted butter and 3TBS sugar; press into pan. Bake 10 minutes.
2.) Beat cream cheese, remaining sugar, flour and vanilla in mixer until blended. Add sour cream, mix well. Add eggs, one at a time, on low speed just until blended. Pour over hot crust. Bake 40 minutes or until center is almost set (it will be golden to dark brown, raised and appear cracked. This is normal.) 
3.) After pulling it from the oven, allow to cool completely on the counter top. Release the buckle on the side of the pan and allow the cake to set a bit longer. Carefully (use a butter knife to release the edges if needed) remove the outer edge of the pan. Top with desired topping and enjoy!


Microwave Lemon Curd 
from allrecipes.com


1 cup white sugar
3 eggs
1 cup fresh lemon juice
3 lemons, zested (I typically just use 1 or 2 depending on the price of the lemons) 
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted

  • In a microwave-safe bowl, whisk together the sugar and eggs until smooth. Stir in lemon juice, lemon zest and butter. Cook in the microwave for one minute intervals, stirring after each minute until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the microwave, and pour into small sterile jars. Store for up to three weeks in the refrigerator.


Ok friends...
Here is the challenge...
I love to read. I think there is much to be learned from one another and the stories we share through our writing (hence the reason I blog). However, if you are anything like me, by the time I get the kids to bed, finish any topical house cleaning and clear a place to sit, I am almost completely out of steam. I often try to pick up a book but after reading the same paragraph about three times, I usually admit defeat, shut the book and turn out the lights. As a result, I have been reading the same books for years! I am determined that will change in 2011. I have no idea how many of you are out there and reading this, but I am going to say this anyway. My goal this year is to read a book every month and at the end of each month I will write my 'book report' and share it with you, what I learned and if the book will go on my 'To Recommend' list or into the trash. I will tell you the book ahead of time so if you are interested in taking my challenge you can read along too and provide your feedback. I like to switch up my reading a little bit, just so you know. I love to read books about theology, marriage, parenting and Christ as well as novels and pleasure reading. If you know of something that would be worth my time, please share! 

Anyway, thanks for taking the challenge and holding me accountable. I just started reading The Pursuit of God by A.W. Tozer. So far, it has been pretty easy reading and I am looking forward to the encouragement and challenge that exists within it's paragraphs and pages. 

Happy reading! 
<><tce 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tiff!
    I recommend reading (for pleasure) Snow Flower and the Secret Fan (by Lisa See). It's a book about friendship during the foot-binding era in China. It actually made me cry it is so touching.

    -Alissa

    ReplyDelete