Friday, February 11, 2011

Blessed are the poor in spirit...

Close your eyes and imagine with me for a moment...
Weathered feet with tattered sandals.
Ordinary appearance wrapped in Divine Presence.
This humble and quiet man yet altogether wholly God, spent the last twelve or more hours teaching, healing and encouraging hungry and hurting souls. The day was drawing to a close, the crowd was increasing in numbers, the excitement was growing. Still, He was tired.
Seeing the crowds, He begins to retreat up the mountain. Still, the crowd follows.
What followed was quite possibly one of the most intriguing and quoted sermons ever.
I am embarrassed to say that until a national youth conference last summer, I had never given these verses tucked away in the book of Matthew much thought of my own. I am spending some time there again over the next few days and I would love for you to join me on this journey through the Beatitudes.

'Seeing the crowds, He went up on the mountain,
and when He sat down, His disciples came to Him.
And He opened His mouth and taught them saying,
"Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."'
Matthew 5:1-3

I would first like to point out that these words came straight from the mouth of God. It may seem insignificant, but the Bible makes a point to say that Jesus opened His mouth and taught these things. How often have I wished that God would speak to me! If only I would open my Bible and turn to Matthew chapter 5 (among other places) and realize that He IS speaking to me if only I would take the time to listen!

We live in a culture that worships at the throne of extravagance. We dream of opulent homes and idolize those that live that life. Fancy cars, flashy clothes and large rocks in settings of gold draw our admiration, affections and attention. I think it is no mistake that Jesus started this power packed sermon by addressing the condition of our spirits as it relates to poverty. What exactly does it mean to be poor in spirit?  I believe that it can be explained simply, but it will take a lifetime to digest. 

Simply put, but not so simply applied, we stop pretending that we have it altogether, have the answers and lack no spiritual wisdom and insight. It is often the arrogance of our hearts that keeps us from true intimacy with God and with others. Christians have this idea, as does the rest of creation, that we have to have it all together. And if we don't, fake it 'til you make it, as I always say. I had a dear man telling me a couple of weeks ago that if we look long enough we will find that god is within all of us--in essence, we are all god in a sense. Our society has taken hold of this idea that we possess within ourselves everything we need to get by in this life and beyond. Jesus is disbanding this idea right at the beginning of His sermon.

You see, it is not until we come before Him, head bowed and sheepishly holding the pieces of our lives, hearts and dreams and confess our sheer and hopeless state of poverty before Him that we will really begin to grasp the beauty of His sufficiency and inherit the kingdom of heaven. It is not until we stop striving to be good, holy and the god of our universe, and accept our poverty of spirit that we will truly be satisfied in Him and find the rest that our hearts are dying without. For it is in our poverty that the abundance of God's riches await us. 

Oh God that we would stop striving in vain and accept our poverty and need for Your grace and presence in our lives. God I pray that our hearts would fall prostrate before you and to you and you only would the affections of our hearts belong. Forgive me Jesus for this facade of self righteousness and personal wealth--it is only myself I am fooling. Consume me Almighty God and accept the offering of my poor spirit. I come in need of You and I pray that You would fill me and satisfy me. Without you I possess no good thing for all of eternity and all that is eternal dwells with you. Thank you for loving me. Thank you for speaking truth to my heart. I love you Jesus. 
Amen.

<><tce

1 comment:

  1. I have never been able to grasp what exactly he meant by "poor in spirit" this is such great insight. Thank you for sharing. I'm looking forward to more on the sermon on the mount!

    ReplyDelete