Thursday, February 24, 2011

blessed are the merciful...

"Blessed are the merciful,
for they shall receive mercy."
~Jesus Christ
Matthew 5:7

Jesus Christ spoke much about mercy and forgiveness and doing good to those that least deserve good and loving those that are difficult to love. However, this does not mean putting one's self in a place of abuse or neglect and calling that love. There are occasions when loving an abusive person is removing oneself and the children from the situation so that the abusive and hurtful behavior is not learned and the cycle of pain and abuse is not continued. Love will sometimes mean boundaries and severing the relationship, but love always, always means prayer (Luke 6:27). 

I was hurt so badly by another several years ago and I remember feeling such an unrelenting sense of hate and anger. The Holy Spirit gently brought me back by reminding me, "Tiffany, I have not held your sin over your head, how dare you do it to another."

The truth is, you and I are in need of mercy as well. Although our sin may take a different form, our sin is sin nonetheless and hurts ourselves and others in the process. It is not until we understand the greatness of His undeserved love and mercy upon us, that we will even begin to understand the need to forgive and show mercy to others. 

Jesus says it best in Luke 6:32-36...
"If you love those who love you, what benefit is it to you?
Even sinners love those who love them. 
And if you do good to those who do good to you,
what benefit is that to you? For even sinners do the same.
And if you lend to those from whom you expect to receive, what credit is that to you? For even sinners lend to sinners, to get back the same amount. 
But love your enemies, and do good, 
and lend, expecting nothing in return, 
and your reward will be great, 
and you will be sons of the Most High, 
for he is kind to the ungrateful and evil. 
Be merciful even as your Father is merciful."

Paul reminds us in the 5th chapter of Romans, that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. He didn't wait until we had it figured out or even realized we needed a Savior. He knew we needed forgiveness and atonement and offered it regardless of what our response would be. 

Dear friends, I speak as one traveling this rocky, solitary road of mercy and forgiveness. I remember hearing an unforgettable sermon on mercy preached by Pastor John Piper that compelled me and frustrated me both. I went and spoke with him afterward because I wasn't sure how to take these unbelievable words and bring them to life, in one relationship specifically. I don't even remember the conversation, but I do remember ending with prayer. You see, prayer is not only petitioning God to change others or to relieve the situation, but to change my heart in the midst of the pain and uncertainty. Prayer takes our eyes off of our own pain and suffering and refocuses them back on the person and sufficiency of Christ. Prayer is not pretending that we aren't confused or scared or ashamed or broken, but prayer is acknowledging that God cares and that God is greater than any affliction of earth. 

As you begin to move into the weekend ahead, I pray that you would lay your relationships bare before God and ask boldly and humbly what mercy needs to look like. In Gary Thomas' unbelievable book Devotions for a Sacred Marriage his 'sequel' to Sacred Marriage (two books that have changed my life and marriage) he considers mercy a necessary ingredient to creating and maintaining intimacy in our marriages. It is not until we forgive and let go of this idea that we are always the victims of others that our relationships will even begin to be what we hope they will be. Intimacy is directly linked to mercy. We experience intimacy with God when and only when we understand our need for and experience God's all consuming mercy in our lives. 

May the mercy of God meet you in your moments today and may that mercy compel you, change you and challenge you to show mercy to those that need it. May prayer be the spoken language of your heart today and may it change you from the inside out. I pray that you would understand what mercy needs to look like and that you would have the heart to obey. I pray that just as Jesus promised, you would experience mercy as you endeavor to extend it.  Please, pray likewise for me as I walk this road as well. 

Blessings.
<><tce

1 comment:

  1. looks like it's going to be a soul searching day for me!!!
    thanks for this post, oh if you and I could sit and have coffee!!!
    My family (my husband and kids) have had to be in that difficult place of removing ourselves from family relationships in order to stop the cycle of abuse. It's painful for sure, but we're learning and growing and living out the "better rather than the bitter".
    You are so right that prayer is the key.
    So elemental, but so easy to forget and forgo.
    Thanks again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete