Monday, November 5, 2012

on apathy and tolerance

Election day is almost here. 
It is a day that I love and I day that I dread. 
While this is not a political blog and my views are not something I feel the need to 'impose' on anyone, God has been stirring this in my own heart and I can ignore the prompting to share no longer. 

A long time ago, a rebellious people once committed to God, not only turned their back on God and His principles, but savored their disobedience without shame. Being a God of justice, He called on His prophet Ezekiel and gave him specific instructions by which to deal with the abominations so shamelessly enjoyed. The gifts that God gave for their blessing were being defecated and profaned. He would tolerate it no longer. 

As the book of Ezekiel unfolds, it is cringe worthy to hear some of the words spoken to Ezekiel on behalf of God's wayward people. Ezekiel 9 stopped me dead in my tracks. I must share it's powerful words with anyone willing to listen. 

'And the Lord said to him (Ezekiel),
"Pass through the city, 
through Jerusalem, 
and put a mark on the foreheads of the men who sigh and groan 
over all the abominations that are committed in it." 
And to the others in he said in my hearing, 
"Pass through the city after him, and strike.
Your eye shall not spare, and you shall show no pity. 
Kill old men outright, 
young men and maidens, 
little children and women, 
but touch no one on whom is the mark. 
And begin at my sanctuary."
Ezekiel 9: 4-6a

I have wrestled with God's appearance of heartless justice here...I mean, old men and children? Really? 
Yes, really. 
It is not that God is a heartless murderer, 
He is jealous for the affections of the hearts of His people, the same way an adoring husband longs to protect the affections of his bride's heart and have her reserve them for him alone. 
He will tolerate no sin. Not even apathy on behalf of old men or children. 

As His people went astray, there were those who did not participate directly in the profanity, but did nothing to stop it. It simply did not affect them. Their hearts were numbed to the sin swirling around them. 
They did not groan. They did not weep. They did not speak out. 
They did nothing. 
Because it appeared as though it didn't affect them. 
Apathy resided where sadness should have been. 
Tolerance was seated where righteous fury should have stood. 
Silence spoke volumes where moaning and sadness should have been heard. 
And God was angry. 

Fast forward thousands of years to a nation once built on the truth of God's Word and a desire to love Him freely. 
One nation under God.
A nation that now freely sacrifices its precious, voiceless unborn on the altar of 'free choice'. 
A nation that no longer holds in high honor the reverent union of man and wife. 
A nation that deeply believes family is nothing more than a relative term to be defined by whomever, however. 
A nation that was once built on God and yet is blatantly turning its back on God. 
A government that is rapidly becoming god to many. 
And God is angry. 

I believe that God is angry with the silence of His people. 
If His people don't fight for righteousness in the public square, who will? 
If God's people tolerate the sin of others for fear of personal offense, then righteousness becomes a lesser priority and ultimately so does eternal destiny. 
While mothers and fathers slaughter the unborn and men fornicate openly with men, we sit idly by and say, 
"It doesn't affect me." 
God says, 
"I will bring their deeds upon their heads." (Ezekiel 9:10) 

God gave us a voice as well as a sphere of influence. 
I may never be on the city council, the school board or take my seat in the senate, 
but I have a voice and God is commanding me to use it for those that can hear me.  
God is calling our hearts to break and our voices to groan on behalf of the heinous things that are celebrated in our nation.  
If they don't, we are just as guilty.  

God looks upon His people and has bestowed upon them an intense responsibility--
fight for righteousness. Defend the defenseless. Take a stand for truth. 
He expects obedience. 
He will tolerate apathy for only so long. 

God gave you a voice. 
Get out there and use it. 
Go vote your values. 

<><tce

No comments:

Post a Comment