Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Hems and Handbags

'She seeks wool and flax,
 and works with willing hands.
She is like the ships of a merchant;
she brings her food from afar.
She rises while it is yet night
and provides food for her household
and portions for her maidens.
She considers a field and buys it;
with the fruit of her hands she plants a vineyard.
She dresses herself with strength
and makes her arms strong.
She perceives her merchandise is profitable.
Her lamp does not go out at night.'
Proverbs 31:13-18

There are the cynics that would read this and count it irrelevant for today.
There are the literal that would read this and go buy a field. 
There are those that read this and think, "yes, I've arrived, my lamp doesn't go out at night!"
but I don't think Solomon is writing about perusing Facebook into the wee hours of the morning. 

This is a lovely picture of what God is calling us to be. However, the context in which it is read is important. 
There are those sweet ladies that battle dehabilitating diseases such as MS that makes working with one's hands an impossible task.

Some women are gifted with crafty hands, of which I am not one. 
"She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands"

Some are gifted with an understanding of finance and business, of which I am not one.
"She considers a field and buys it..."

Ouch. Two strikes for me. 
Some are green thumbs and plant lovely gardens that are vibrant with color, pollinators and vegetation.
I enjoy the dirt in my fingers and the green beans that sprout, but my garden is more trial and error. 
A green thumb I am not. 
"with the fruit of her hands, she plants a vineyard."

That's three strikes. 
However, there is one part that applies to me and this part I will claim and live by:
"She works with willing hands."

"God is not going to require something of us that He has not given us." ~Pastor David Kiamu
A great friend of mine, Pastor David, reminded me of this lovely truth over the weekend.
So many times we measure our worth based upon the women around us. 
We see how others are gifted and often it leaves us feeling inadequate and insecure.
The truth is, we are not all going to be authors, teachers, vocalists, seamstress' and so on. 
God is calling us to do what we love and love what we do and to glorify Him in the process. 
God does not require that we all have business degrees or an interest in all things culinary.
God does call us to work with willing hands. 
God is not calling all of us to serve overseas or to home school our children.
God is calling us to live a life of obedience and conviction, whatever that may look like. 

With this being said, there is a great woman I know who is an example in many ways.
She is an example of using the gifts God has given her to do what she loves, provide for her family and bless others. 
She has walked a tough road but she has been an example of endurance and faith.
I would like to introduce you Hems and Handbags.

Hems and Handbags is now making these lovely greeting cards
These handbags are hand crafted and come complete with a legit tag and a lovely lining.
Oh the details! 

You may not be crafty like my sweet girlfriend, but you can support someone that is. 
I would encourage you to take a stroll on over, check her out and perhaps even bless her with a purchase. 

Whatever it is that you do today,
may you thank God for the gifts and abilities He has blessed you with 
and glorify God in them. 

Blessings to you!
<><tce

1 comment:

  1. Love this post, Tiffany. And I LOVE that you are introducing your friend's business to us without the usual blog fanfare of giveaways, increased followers, tweets, facebook "likes", etc. I will definitely check out her bags.

    ReplyDelete