Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Blessed are those who are persecuted...

"Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." 
~Jesus Christ
Matthew 5:10

I am definitely not ready to unpack this one. 
I read it, and re read it, and re read it again and contemplated ending the series on my last peacemakers entry. No one would notice right? 

I can't even begin to pretend that I really know what persecution is or what persecution really means to the human soul. 
But I do know that I want to inherit the kingdom of heaven. 
I guess that means I need to understand (as humanly as possible) the crux of this verse so that I can embrace the truth in my own life, whatever that may look like. 

I have a sweet and cherished friend who is faithfully serving God in a very hostile land. I will never forget the day she told me where God was leading them to serve. We were sitting in her dining room, enjoying sweet time together as our babies played near by. I wasn't ready to hear what she had to tell me. I wasn't ready because the human nature that exists within me runs deep and it programs the human mind to avoid danger, peril, and persecution at all costs. The words that came out of her mouth directly resisted that nature. 

Hot tears stung my eyes and it was then I knew that the peace and protection of God was really real. She was excited as she was telling me. She had no reservations that this was where God was leading their young family and they would rather die than to live in opposition to God's direction for their lives. My heart began to change that day.

Growing up in the US of A, I have always been free to attend church, carry my Bible and speak the name of Jesus in the public arena. I do fear that is changing, to be honest, and that is why I think we need to take time to digest the truth of this verse and to decide whether or not we really want to follow hard after Christ. 

The pure and unadulterated doctrine of the Gospel is considered 'old fashioned' and 'intolerant' and I must agree on the second. Rosie O'Donnell (is that how I spell her name?) was asked what she thought was the worst sin. Her response: intolerance. She continued, "You know, intolerance is not Christian. Read the Bible people--you will see that Jesus Christ was tolerant of everyone all the time." (The View, 2009) As I was listening to this, I could imagine all the people nodding their heads and clapping as though she had made some profound point that nailed intolerant Christians to the wall. I have to boldly disagree. I will disagree simply by saying that if Jesus Christ was indeed 'tolerant' then there would have been no need for the agony of the Cross and His brutal crucifixion. If Christ was 'tolerant' He would have included all paths as a path to God rather than just Himself (John 14:6). If He was tolerant, He would have just tolerated our sin rather than die in agony so we could be free from it. Jesus Christ was not tolerant by any stretch of the imagination and all four Gospels testify to this--His very life will testify to this truth. 

Christians are being pummeled by this 'tolerance' doctrine and we buying and believing it. We are turning our faces on blatant sin and embracing those that live in it. We are applauding those that call depravity virtuous living and we are watering down the Gospel of Jesus Christ so as not to 'offend' anyone or bring persecution upon ourselves. We are called to be in the world (John 17:15,16) so as to share the Gospel with everyone that has ears to hear. We are not called to pick and choose those to whom we think are worthy of the Gospel. We are not called to condemn the world--not even Christ did this (John 3:17), but we are called to share boldly that for which Christ came to live and die. If we fail to do so, then there will be a great many that will spend eternity in hell simply because we lived a life restrained by fear. 

As we study and pattern our lives after Christ, we will see that He set His face towards the goal. He knew that for which He lived...He knew the purpose of His life and nothing could keep Him from that. The Bible says that He was in every tempted as we are (Hebrews 4:15) but He understood that temptation and persecution were temporary while the Kingdom of heaven was eternal. He refused to let what was temporary rule over the eternal. We are called by this 'simple' command to do the same. 

We are living in a time when everything right and Biblical is considered wrong and racist while everything that celebrates self, indulgence, depravity and sin is considered virtuous and those that live accordingly are praised as brave pioneers. Beloved of God, let us not forget that Christ dined with sinners. He sought them out, went to their homes and associated with them. We are called to do likewise. However, no where will we find Him patting their back and telling them to 'just follow their hearts' and to 'dare to do what makes them happy'. He loved sinners (of which all of us are!) to the point of death, but He refused to turn His face on their sin and call it fine. Not even in the face of persecution. 


When we have really tasted the goodness and sufficiency of Christ and it has penetrated deep within the very core of who we are, there will be nothing that could hold us back. 
Oh God my Father, may that be true of me today! 

May you inherit the kingdom of heaven as you press on to live life as a bold follower of Christ. 
Blessings dear friends...
<><tce


1 comment: