Wednesday, March 2, 2011

blessed are the pure in heart...

"Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they will see God."
~Jesus Christ
Matthew 5:8

According to Webster's Dictionary printed in 1828, to be pure means to be undefiled, set apart, holy, uncontaminated and disconnected from anything unholy or dirty. 

When I look at my life and reevaluate the intentions and affections of my heart, I see pockets of unholiness and impurity that dwell within them quietly, subtly and unnoticed. Or so I think. When I take the lens of Scripture and look upon those pockets, I can see how they have kept me from true communion with God and others at times. Those quiet areas have the ability to refocus my mind and heart just enough that I miss seeing God completely. 

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, 
by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, 
present your requests to God. 
And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, 
will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. 
Finally, brothers, 
whatever is true, 
whatever is noble, 
whatever is right, 
whatever is pure, 
whatever is lovely, 
whatever is admirable--if anything is praiseworthy or excellent--think about such things."
Philippians 4:6-8 

Take notice that Apostle Paul transitions directly from prayer and peace to the thoughts and meditations of our hearts. They are directly related.

When our hearts are in a spirit of prayer and communion with God and seasoned with thanks,
the result will be truth, nobility, righteousness, purity, all things lovely, admirable, praiseworthy and excellent. 

Through prayer, God will decipher truth from lie, purity from impurity, excellent from vile. 
I want to see God. 
I want to touch the heart of God.
I want the heart of God to beat within my chest and to pump blood through my veins. 
But...I must be pure. 
As I look at my heart through the lens of Scripture, I can be sure that God will reveal those quiet areas of impurity. 
If only I would have the heart to let them go.

Entitlement.
Bitterness.
Anger.
Jealousy.
Lust. 
Greed.
Pride.
Self righteousness.

One thing I can be sure of, when purity becomes the desire of my heart,
Jesus Christ said that I will see God.
What a trade!

<><tce


No comments:

Post a Comment