Wednesday, April 6, 2011

This is the will of God

"See to it that no one repays evil for evil,
but always seeks to do good to one another and to everyone.
Rejoice always,
pray without ceasing,
give thanks in all circumstances
for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus 
for you."
1 Thessalonians 5:15-18

The will of God for me. 

Have you ever found yourself saying or wishing, "Man, I just wish I knew what God's will was!" 
I find it interesting that in many Christian circles and in many churches across America, we treat God's will like some mysterious cosmic plan that we are always guessing at and crossing our fingers we are taking the right path. 
The amazing thing about God is that He has laid the path clearly in His Word and when we are faithful to live according to His faithful instruction, we will be in the center of His will for our lives. 

"Always seek to do good..."
I am called to not only do good, but to look for opportunities to do good.
to everyone. 

"Rejoice always..."
When my heart is inclined to praise, my eyes will be inclined to see God's faithfulness in every part of my life. 
Rejoice--this is verbal, active and public. 
Tell stories of God's faithfulness. Praise Him in the public arena. 
Take joy in His goodness to an undeserving person that is destitute without it. 
Rejoice!

"Pray without ceasing..."
Just as I think without ceasing, 
may my heart pray without ceasing. 
May my heart be in a continual state of communication with God
laying before Him that things that I agonize over,
take joy in,
stress over,
resent, 
disagree with, 
weep over
and hope for. 
and everything else that floats through my cluttered mind in any given minute. 
May prayer be the language of my heart more than English is the language of my lips. 

"Give thanks in all circumstances..."
Max Lucado puts it this way,
"I will praise before I curse. 
Rather than complain that the wait is too long, I will thank my God for a moment to pray."
There is always something to be thankful for 
simply because God is in every situation at all times. 
There will always be evidence of God's faithful love and mercy if we would just open our eyes to see it. And when we do, we are called to give thanks. 
When our hearts speak the language of gratitude, 
the spirit of discontentment, bitterness and self pity will flee. 
I will take my mind and my life back from the spirit of self that seeks to consume it
and in it's place, 
I will thank my God for the light in my eyes, 
the breath in my body 
and the hope eternal that no one can take away from me. 

Actively seeking good,
rejoicing,
prayer
and gratitude.
They walk together. They journey together. They occur together. 
When we seek to do good, we will rejoice in the ability to do so, pray for those around us and inhabit a heart of gratitude to a God that is not affected by the temporary things of earth. 
And therefore, neither are we.

Rejoice!
<><tce

No comments:

Post a Comment