Friday, October 7, 2011

a paintbrush and praise

paiting the dreaded door and window trim in our bedroom 
my sweet friend and Godson celebrating his first birthday
This week has brought birthdays, death, epiphanies (two to be exact) and medical results.

Our sweet Godson turns one today! We celebrated his birthday last Saturday and thanked God for this little life. He was a much awaited and much prayed for baby for years before his conception. We thank God for his life and his family and we are exctied to see what God has in store for this sweet boy and his lovely parents.

One of my dearest friends lost her dad early Monday morning to a heart attack. In many ways, I still feel as though we are little girls and are very much in need of our moms and dads. My heart has hurt for her all week and wish there wasn't 1400 miles separating us. His untimely death has uncovered a lot of the hurt that still lingers from my brother's untimely death at the young age of 28. Following on the heels of Ted's death is that of 56 year old Apple CEO Steve Jobs, the 11th wealthiest man in the world and a technical genius and visionary. Death does not discriminate...the young, the old, the rich, the poor, the brilliant and the inept, those with children that still need them and those that don't. We all have an appointment with God that we will not be late for, but it is possible to be ready for it. As we seek to live life in right relationship with God and others, death will bring pain but not regret.
If only we would live everyday like it is our last because some day, we will be absolutely right.

My marriage has been tested and thanks to the grace that God gives, we will stand the test until death separates us. As I was walking with God by the light of the moon and praying for my marriage, my husband and my children, I had an epiphany. The result? We have taken the week off of school and I have taken the initiative to do things that I have expected my husband to do for me. The result? A blessed man and an awakened desire to finish strong (the house reno that is) .

Yesterday, the kids all had dental appointments. We spent three and a half hours in the waiting room yesterday morning while they each went one by one. Are you ready for this? There was not a single fight, whine or poor attitude. Even my four year old played wonderfully. We got a full day of school done, books read and played make believe. Oddly enough, we really enjoyed our time together in the dentist office and were blessed by the staff's amazement over such great kids.

We have dear friends struggling with health issues and sweet youth group kids that are waging war on the home front. As I see the hurt, uncertainty and unfairness of life all around me this week, I can't help but see it all against the unbelievable back drop of God's faithfulness. There are more questions than answers but there will never be more pain than healing, loss than blessing or evil than good. The truth is, God's unmerited favor is lavished upon us as a sinful and underserving creation so abundantly that we only need to open our eyes and claim it as our own. As we journey through life on this blue planet, we are not at home, this is not our final stop in this journey of life. There is pain and there is joy. There is unfairness and undeserved blessing. There is death and there is life. But, in the midst of it all, there is hope and as long as you have breath in your body and blood in your veins, there is hope.
For those of us that have called upon His name, there is hope beyond that as well.

May His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. 
May your heart hold dear that which is eternal and hold loosely that which is fleeting. 
May you look to Him--the Author and Perfector of our faith, 
the Alpha and Omega, 
the Beginning and the End, 
the Creator and Sustainer of all that has been, all that is and all that will be. 
He offers redemption from the pit and hope for the future. 
To Him be all glory, and honor and power forever and ever. 
Amen. 

blessed weekending.
tiffany

2 comments:

  1. Amen.

    Very blessed weekending to you also! Thank you for all of your comments on my blog, they make me laugh! I have no doubt you would have reams of wisdom to share about obnoxious hippos in pink wetsuits. I appreciate the wisdom you share here, and for your influence in Youth Group.

    Gratefully,
    Gianna

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was lovely. And thank you sooo much for your encouraging comment about my race! I was honestly feeling like I could NEVER work up to a 10K. I have knee problems, and the 5K was huge feat to begin with, but you gave me hope! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete