Saturday, January 8, 2011

what is in a [woman's] name? part 4

What is in a [woman’s] name? part 4
“...and Jesse, the father of David the king. 
And David was the father of Solomon by the wife of Uriah...”
Matthew 1: 6
Finally. All of Israel spoke of the coming Messiah but knew nothing more than that--he was coming. They had grand visions of palaces, armies, grandeur and opulence in every sense of the word. They had no idea, but God was and had been preparing the way for the arrival of His Son, the Savior and Messiah, for generations.  They had no idea however, that this Messiah was going to be vastly different than anything they could have ever imagined. 
However, as we have been reading through the list of ancestors of Christ, there is for a moment, finally a king! The Bible wastes no time in mentioning his kinghood, but nine words later the Bible rats the king out. Read the second part of verse six again and then turn in your Bible and read the entire sordid story for yourself in 2 Samuel 11. Notice the humanity. Notice the depravity. Notice the name of the specific king involved. 
It is spring time, the time when armies go out for war. In those days, unlike today, the kings went to war. He went to be a presence, a strategist and someone that kept his officers in check and the target in sight. King David, for whatever reason, decided to stay home. On this particular day, he was lounging around and decided to view the city from his roof late in the afternoon. While doing this, he saw a beautiful, naked woman bathing. Wasting no time, he sent for her and he enjoyed her beauty as if it were his own. The problem was, not only was she not his own, but she was the wife of Uriah. That’s right--she was already married. 
When David was done with her, he sent her home only to recieve word later that she was pregnant. Hmm....this looked bad seeing as though her husband was at war (where the men were supposed to be) and there were no other men around to blame it on. The blood was on David’s hands and he knew it. He devised a plan to send for Uriah and have him go ‘visit’ his wife. Uriah, being a noble man, refuses to do so. He came as requested, but refused to enjoy his wife seeing as his comrades were not enjoying the same privileges. David was backed into a corner by Uriah’s nobility, and so he did what any ‘good king’ would do in a spot like this--he ordered Uriah to the front lines of battle. That’s right, rather than fessing up to his adultery and lust, King David adds to his sin by killing Bathsheba’s husband and making it look accidental. 
King David was confronted by Nathan in chapter 12. He reminded him of God’s continued favor to David all through his life and rebuked him for his wickedness. David admited his sinned before the Lord and Nathan tells him that God has forgiven him, but the child that they concieved would die as a result of the sin. 
I love God’s Word! I couldn’t come up with this if I tried! The idea that a Savior--THE Savior of all mankind was coming in a line of prostitutes and murders is unbelievable. As I look upon the life of David I am awed by God’s patience and mercy. David loved women. David was not even close to a perfect man and yet he is refered to as a ‘man after God’s own heart’ (1 Sam 13:14). What I find interesting is that Solomon was not the first son between David and Bethsheba. Solomon was born after Uriah was dead and after they were married. Why does this matter? Well, I do not believe God holds our sin over our heads, but I do believe that He allows us to remember so as to not forget who we are and who we were apart from him. In this case, I believe God is using these words in Matthew 1 to tell us that He doesn’t require perfection (it’s impossible actually), but rather a broken and repentant heart. 
This is the Psalm that David penned in response to Nathan’s confrontation,
God’s conviction and his sin:
“Have mercy on me, O God, according to your steadfast love;
according to your abundant mercy
blot out my transgressions. 
Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin!
For I know my transgressions,
and my sin is ever before me. 
Against you and you only have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight,
so that you may be justified in your words and blameless in your judgement. 
Behold, you delight in truth in the inward being,
and you teach me wisdom in the secret heart. 
Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean;
wash me and I will be whiter than snow.
Hide your face from my sins, and blot out my iniquities.
Create in me a clean heart, O God,
and renew a right spirit within me. 
Cast me not away from your presence and take not your Holy Spirit from me.
Restore to me the joy of your salvation,
and uphold me with a willing spirit. 
Then I will teach transgressors your ways,
and sinners will return to you.
For you will not delight in sacrifice, or I would give it;
you will not be pleased with a burnt offering.
The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit;
a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.”
Psalm 51: 1-4, 6-13, 15-17
I pray that tonight you would grieve your sin. God sees it. God knows it. God saw it and heard it and felt it even before you were in existence. He is not waiting to ‘discover’ your secrets, but rather for you to fall down broken and grieving before His merciful throne. It is not until your heart lie before him as an offering of repentance, that you will find peace and rest from the sin that entangles your soul. Rest assured, God will not despise your beautiful offering. 
<><tce

No comments:

Post a Comment