Friday, January 28, 2011

the day I met God in the jungle

The time was 5am. Our destination was the jungle. More specifically, Trinity Evangelical Free Church of the Bassa Tribe. The road we traveled had been washed out and was mostly traveled by those on foot. After five hours of jostling and potholes the size of a small country, we came to the end of the road. We then crossed a jungle river by a log turned canoe that was navigated by a lovely indigenous man who graciously shuttled his white faced guests across. Once across, we were greeted by some very excited children on their way home from school. They accompanied us for a while as we began our journey into the heart of the jungle, but in time it was just us, the sweet song of the birds and the trail. We enjoyed good conversation as we moved quickly along the trail, crossed little streams via small logs stretched from shore to shore and tried to stay hydrated. It wasn't until about two hours into our journey by foot that we heard it...the quiet sound of drums beaten by weathered tribal hands.

Deep in the heart of the jungle quietly existed a small village. The people there were beautifully unaware of the fast paced world just beyond their jungle. They knew no English, no technology and no further education. They did know Jesus. Surrounding their small village existed the great presence of darkness. Demonic darkness. Witchcraft and spiritism invaded the quiet village as evil battled the Spirit of God for the souls of these sweet people. However, in spite of the intense darkness, the presence of Light was profound and captivating.

I entered the bamboo roofed church from the back and stood quietly off to the side as men, women and children entered, moving fluidly to the sounds of the beating drums and the unhindered songs of praise. The only response I had was tears as for the first time, I completely understood that the Spirit of God truly is everywhere. As the reality of His omnipresence settled over me, I realized that our God is not confined to churches built beautifully and adorned with stain glassed windows and velvet lined pews. God doesn't dwell in the rituals of man nor is He only present in the urban churches with large choirs, large pulpits and large ministries. His Spirit is not quenched in the face of darkness or profound evil. In fact, when our hearts are enraptured in His presence, even the darkness is as light to Him (Psalm 139:12).







The truth is, most people on earth will never know these humble villagers. Common society will never speak their language and many, if not all of them, will live and die without ever seeing life beyond their village. The amazing thing is, is that in spite of their 'ignorance' and the darkness that vies for their souls, God is there. God is present and dwells with them.

'O Lord, you have searched me and you know me!
You know when I sit down and when I rise;
you discern my thoughts from afar.
You see my going out and my lying down,
you are familiar with all my ways.
Even before a word is on my tongue, 
You know it completely O Lord.
You hem me in behind and before, 
you have laid your hand upon me. 
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
too lofty for me to attain. 
Where can I go from your Spirit? 
Where can I flee from your presence? 
If I go up to the heavens, you are there!
If I make my bed in the depths, you are there!
If I rise on the wings of the dawn 
and settle on the far side of the sea,
even there your hand will guide me and your right hand will hold me fast. 
If I say, "surely the darkness will cover me,
and the light become night around me,"
even the darkness is not dark to you; 
the night will shine like the day, 
for darkness is as light to you.
Your eyes saw my unformed substance;
all the days ordained for me were written in your Book
before even one of them came to be."
Psalm 139: 1-12, 16

You may not live deep in the heart of the jungle but isolation is something you know well. You may walk the aisle of a lovely church, but the presence of God is a foreign thing to your soul. You may look at your life and feel as though the darkness has become a heavy shroud, hiding you from who you once were and even from the God that created you.
Dear friend, take heart in knowing that there is no darkness greater than the Spirit of God. There is no jungle that He does not know and there is no tribe or tongue that God did not Himself create and does not dwell within.  The future is not a mystery to Him. He knows your days, He knows your mortality. As we seek His heart, as weak and weary as our souls may be, He will be faithful to honor that search. It is impossible to flee the presence of God. He is in the joy, He is in the depths. Just as I quietly entered the small church and stood unnoticed, I pray that you too, would dare to step into the presence of God and allow the beauty of His fellowship and omnipresence revive your spirit and speak to your heart.  
<><tce

No comments:

Post a Comment