Friday, January 28, 2011

one more thing...

I know that I have already blogged today, but I thought of something I really wanted to share. I know that this isn't a domestic blog about nutrition or anything like that, but I came across a couple of things that I really wanted to share.

A desire of my heart is to become a Proverbs 31 woman and I believe that part of that is keeping my eyes peeled for good deals, good recipes and good things to make on my own. I love being in the kitchen and am convinced that it pays off in the long run.

Here are a few recipes that I keep on hand that are easy, yummy and pretty kid friendly. Both came from www.allrecipes.com, a website that I swear by. It is great for ideas, user feedback and comments as well as being user friendly. So if you're sick of the same old thing, log on and check it out.
Anyway, here are a couple of keepers that I got from there. Keep in mind--time is a very valuable commodity in my house as is nutrition and both of these fit the bill. Happy cooking!


Play date Granola Bars

  • 2 cups rolled oats
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar (I decrease this to about 1/2 C)
  • 1/2 cup wheat germ (I have a 7 grain cereal I slip in instead. If you want, you can omit this altogether)
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (Um..we LOVE cinnamon, so I use a lot more than this!) 
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup raisins (optional)
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
We really like chocolate chips for a little treat and then these become dessert as well. 
You can add dry cranberries and any fruit for that matter; white chocolate chips etc or anything else that suits you


  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Generously grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together the oats, brown sugar, wheat germ, cinnamon, flour, raisins and salt. Make a well in the center, and pour in the honey, egg, oil and vanilla. Mix well using your hands. Pat the mixture evenly into the prepared pan.
  3. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, until the bars begin to turn golden at the edges. Cool for 5 minutes, then cut into bars while still warm. Do not allow the bars to cool completely before cutting, or they will be too hard to cut.



  • Chicken Tortilla Soup
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced (I use a heaping TBS of the minced garlic I have on hand)
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil (butter works too)
  • 2 teaspoons chili powder (I just kind of dump it in...if you are not spicy kind of people, you can omit)
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
  • 1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed chicken broth (water with bouillon works well too)
  • 1 1/4 cups water
  • 1 cup whole corn kernels, cooked
  • 1 cup white hominy (we are not fans of hominy and I don't think it really adds to the soup, but it's up to you) 
  • 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chili peppers
  • 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 2 boneless chicken breast halves, cooked and cut into bite-sized pieces
  • crushed tortilla chips
  • sliced avocado
  • shredded Monterrey Jack cheese (or any kind of cheese for that matter)
  • chopped green onions


  1. In a medium stock pot, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic in oil until soft. Stir in chili powder, oregano, tomatoes, broth, and water. Bring to a boil, and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
  2. Stir in corn, hominy, chilies, beans, cilantro, and chicken. Simmer for 10 minutes. (I cut the chicken with a kitchen shears, throw it on a dinner plate, cover it with wax paper and microwave it for a couple of minutes. It cuts on the pan use and it's quick) 
  3. Ladle soup into individual serving bowls, and top with crushed tortilla chips, avocado slices, cheese, and chopped green onion.

"An excellent wife who can find? She is far more precious than jewels. 
The heart of her husband trusts in her, and he will have no lack of gain. 
She does him good, and not harm, all the days of her life. 
She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands. 
She is like the ships of a merchant; she brings her food from afar. 
She rises while it is yet night and provides food for her household and portions for her maidens. 
She looks well to the ways of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. 
Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her. 
"Many women have done excellently, but you surpass them all." 
Charm is deceitful and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. " 
Proverbs 31:10-15, 27-30

Have a great weekend!
<><tce

No comments:

Post a Comment