Monday, December 13, 2010

peace

"Rejoice in the Lord always, I will say it again, REJOICE!
Let your reasonableness be known to everyone.
The Lord is at hand;
be anxious about nothing,
but in everything
by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving
let your requests be made known to God.
And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding,
will guard your heart and mind in Christ Jesus." 
Philippians 4: 4-7

While the radios are buzzing with tunes of chestnuts roasting, angels singing, and silver bells ringing, the reality of Christmas weighs heavy on many. The holidays seem to magnify the financial woes, marital strains and family dysfunction like few other things do. I know for me, Christmas has taken on a new meaning and new traditions have filled the painful voids that once existed. But even in the midst of that, the pain and shame that still lingers in the shadows can begin to close in. It is in those times that I find my heart claiming this promise penned by Apostle Paul many years ago. 

I don't know what awaits you today. I don't know anything about the reality you live in. My prayer for you is that the truth of God's Word would wash over you. I pray that regardless of the task that lay before you, the pain the dwell within you or the past that comes behind you would prompt you ever more to rejoice, to pray and to be thankful. 

In a season full of Santa Claus and wish lists, it is easy to approach the throne of God in the same way. While the heart of God, clearly expressed here, desires to hear our requests, the tone in which they approach the throne is critical. When my children approach me and whine out their wants or needs, it makes me want to turn a deaf ear. When they approach with gratitude and gentleness (the original Hebrew meaning of reasonableness as used in this original passage) my heart is inclined to not only listen but to respond with gentleness and favor. 

Whatever weighs on your heart this Christmas season, whatever darkness covers you or whatever ghosts of Christmas past haunt you, I pray that you will have the boldness to approach the throne of an Almighty, All Knowing and Ever Loving God. I pray that in that place your heart will be filled with gratitude as you see how in spite of the pain or unfairness God's faithfulness has sustained you. I pray that through that heart of gratitude you would have the boldness to present your requests to God, knowing that He has asked you to do so. 

May the peace of God, which transcends all human understanding, guard your heart and mind this day and this Holy Christmas season, in Christ Jesus. 
Blessings to you this day!
<><tce

No comments:

Post a Comment