Tuesday, December 14, 2010

the Example

"I glorified you on earth,
having accomplished the work that you
gave me to do." 
~Jesus Christ
John 17: 4


It's quiet. The kids are still asleep. My coffee is hot. My to-do list is growing. Any minute I will hear the sounds of foot steps coming down the stairs and my day with take off faster than a jet plane down a runway. It is tempting to start barreling through my duties in an attempt to get a head start, but just as I do, the Holy Spirit gently calls me back and challenges my focus. It is so easy to get swallowed up in running, doing and accomplishing and forget the purpose in it all. Accomplishing and striving are not bad, in fact Jesus Himself had a 'to-do' list of sorts. However, the question is, will we glorify God through striving and serving? 

I am a runner. Typically when it comes to race time I start to have these nightmarish type dreams. The most memorable one I had I showed up late to the race, in my underwear without my running shoes. I remember not being worried about being in my underwear, but I was agonizing over not having my own shoes to run in. I woke up relieved it had just been a dream! As I think about my approach to this day twenty minutes ago, I was ready to take off and I hadn't yet taken the time to 'suit up' for the day at all. Just as I would never dream of running any length of distance without the proper attire, so should I never think of journeying through a day without taking the time to get mentally and spiritually prepared for what lay ahead. 

"God didn't do it all in one day, what makes me think I can?" 
~Author Unknown 

This quote is not saying that God couldn't have created the world in one day. Rather, I think He was setting an example for us. While He could have spoken the world into complete existence in one single breath, He chose to do it in parts. I think we can learn that God is a God of order, He is God that sees the whole picture and knew His ultimate purpose. He also knew that He was creating a limited being, and unlike Himself, we would not be able to conquer the world in one day. Rather He has set before us an example of moderation, steady plodding and a focused heart. He loved His work. He delighted in His work. He took time to rest. I pray that today, we will follow this powerful example. Blessings to you as you seek to please God through the work He has given you today!

Father, I pray that when this day is done, I will be able to echo the words spoken by my Savior in the Garden that night. I pray that I will glorify you through my work today. I pray that you will remind me to keep my heart focused on the things above rather than the trivial things of this world. May I glorify you on earth while accomplishing the work the You have given me to do. Let my heart not forget who it is I am serving.
<><tce

No comments:

Post a Comment