Friday, September 16, 2011

weekly gratitude

3 generations of runners

WOOHOO for 13.2 completed miles!!

"My sis-tos have clothes for their dollies Mama, Georgey needs some clothes too..."

fall. it's the most wonderful time of the year. 

the first frost.
lovely now. talk to me in January. 
This week has been interesting. At this time last week, I was getting ready for bed and eager to pound some pavement for 13.2 miles. Pound we did! My two oldest girls, Elena and Hannah, ran with my dad. I am so proud of my dad. He quit smoking after my brother was killed. He had smoked for 35 years. Like many people do, he had put on a few pounds. He called me perplexed: "Tif, I have tried everything and I have not lost a pound. What do I do?!" I laughed. "Dad....you gotta run. That's the only thing that worked for me. Get your shoes out and get your heart rate up. It'll work Dad." He laughed.
Since then, he has run 3 5K's and has put on more miles than he has in his entire life combined I am certain. I always get choked up when we hear that starting shot. We run together for the first two miles until our courses split. I am so proud of my dad.

We had another week of school and I am loving it more than ever. I am thankful that this is the road God has blessed me to walk and I pray that I will continue to follow in obedience.

One of our dearest friends had a major health concern come up this week. In the midst of the pain and uncertainty, we sat in their living room and talked, reminisced, asked questions and held hands in prayer. The tears flowed. Together we claimed God's faithfulness in all things. It was beautiful.

AWANA started and with it brings the craziness of mid-week running, but it also brings the fellowship of great friends and time together in God's Word for every age.

Thursday we spent the night as a family in a beautiful state park near our home. We enjoyed a long hike and did stick fighting. One child laughed so hard she peed in her pants. It was fabulous. The air is crisp, the leaves are starting to change. The bugs are dead. It was fabulous.

It's Friday now and an unclaimed weekend is before me. A week of tears and laughter, running and rest are behind me. I am looking forward to another beautiful fall day and will do my best to savor every minute as though it was my last.

I am abundantly thankful for...
~bags of apples given by my sweet neighbor
~long showers with no one opening the door saying, "Mama, are you all done yet?" 
~sweat and tears
~a text message that makes me laugh so hard I have tears in my eyes
~a thank you note thanking me for friendship
~our dinner group on Wednesday nights
~Great Grandma
~scented candles
~my sisters in law
~early morning walks when the world is still asleep
~dead mosquitos
~prayer to a living God

happy weekending!
tiffany 

No comments:

Post a Comment