Monday, June 18, 2012

Lessons from the Letter: intro

I discovered written words on a page at a very young age. I have always loved to read and it didn't take long for that to develop into a love for writing as well.
I remember looking forward to my Keys for Kids devotion every morning (I still do them with my kids every morning!) and quizzically reading the Bible.
It intrigued me. It inspired me. It challenged me. I liked it.

For as many years as I have been reading God's Word, there are still a great many sections (and even books) that I have not read, or have hardly read. Most of them are the Old Testament prophets.

People are quick to spout out verses like John 3:16, Psalm 23 or Jeremiah 29:11. I am guilty, just like the rest of them but it has always made me wonder, "do they even know the context by which the author was writing?"

The other morning, during our Keys for Kids devo time, the passage was Jeremiah 29:11-13.
As I listened to my husband read the well worn words, I wondered what Jeremiah was thinking about as he penned this letter to the exiles. I wondered what God was trying to say in the passage as a whole.
That night, after the kids were in bed and the day's work put away for the evening, I started reading Jeremiah 29.

What a letter!
I am so eager to share with you what God shared with me.
I am probably late to the party (as my husband likes to say when I 'discover' a love for a movie two years after everyone else...) as everyone has probably read this incredible and puzzling passage of Scripture already.
But, I don't care.
I am sharing it anyway.

If you learn nothing from the next several posts, may you be encouraged to know that even after 25 years of reading God's Word, it can still breathe new life into the dust and bring forth wholeness and inspiration.
So won't you come with me to the well? Come, drink and come away refreshed.

Between now and the next post, I encourage you to read Jeremiah 29: 1-14.

happy reading!
tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment