Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Sssh

photo source: realsimple.com


'A full gives full vent to his spirit,
but a wise man quietly holds it back.'
Proverbs 29:11

...'How great a forest is set ablaze by such a small fire!
And the tongue is a fire, a world of unrighteousness.
The tongue is set among our members,
staining the whole body, 
setting on fire the entire course of life, 
and set on fire by hell. 
For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and sea creature can be tamed
and has been tamed by mankind, but no human being can tame the tongue.
It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison.
With it we bless our Lord and Father,
and with it we curse people that made in the likeness of God.
From the same mouth come blessing and cursing, 
my brothers, these things ought not to be.' 
James 3:5b-11

Today I will intentionally try to say less and pray more. 
I will go to knees on behalf of my spouse...my children...my friends...
before I speak words of counsel, correction or rebuke. 
I will seek forgiveness for the careless words rashly spoken,
arrogant words proudly spoken,
foolish words mindlessly spoken.

Today I will love God and what God loves. 
I will speak words of kindness before I give voice to irritation or criticism. 
I will write the words of Proverbs and James upon my heart and allow them to speak truth and restraint and self control to my hasty spirit. 
When I succeed I will remember the power of God at work within me and the blessing of restraint upon my tongue. 
And when I fail I will humbly seek grace and remember that I am nothing without Jesus Christ. 

Today I will remember that a fool gives full vent to his spirit
but a wise woman quietly holds back. 
Oh sweet Jesus, 
that I may be a woman of wisdom and quietness!

<><tce

1 comment:

  1. very good observations Tiffany. I battle " the tongue" on a daily basis. I find myself constantly catching ill words about to leave my mouth with no good purpose other than to criticise or tear down another . There is no reason for it other than to join a conversation or gain acceptance into a group. There are many , many instances throughout the Bible that God speaks of the tongue and the dangers and sin that lurks within. It is a constant struggle, a daily struggle, sometimes hourly. It is an area that I, myself need to be on constant look out for and pray for awareness, guidance, patience and compassion.Peace...........

    ReplyDelete