Tuesday, April 10, 2012

God alone

'For God alone my soul waits in silence,
from Him comes my salvation.
He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress;
I shall not be greatly shaken.
For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence,
for my hope is from Him.
He only is my rock and my salvation,
my fortress; I shall not be shaken. 
On God rests my glory;
my mighty rock, my refuge is God.'
~King David
Psalm 62:1,2, 5-7

For God alone my soul waits.....
Those are lofty words. 
Don't get me wrong, I long for God but I find that often my heart sings the tune of, 
"I long for God and _____________________" 
To be able to stand and resolutely say, "For God alone my soul waits" is a soul that is no longer of human origin, but has tasted and experienced the presence of the Almighty and as a result all of life is confined within that delight. 
The soul that sings "For God alone..." takes joy in the all sufficiency of God and says that He is all I need and all I want. 
The understanding of human kind, 
the companionship of others, 
the gracious acceptance of my fellow man....
they are all nice and great and good,
but if they will come at a compromise of the lordship of God in my life, I will pass thank you. 
Because my soul's greatest delight is in the Person and Presence of the Almighty God. 

It is when and only when I live my life with this desire that I am free to love the way God loves. When my soul's greatest satisfaction is in the righteousness of God, the need to be understood, served, loved, respected, accepted, promoted...falls away because I understand that I have all that and more within the shadow of His wings. He will uphold my cause for He judges righteously. 

As I love God wholly and stand in right relationship with Him, 
my marriage will be blessed.
my children will be blessed. 
As my soul cries out, "My hope is in You O Lord!" I am putting God in His proper place and human kind and human circumstances in theirs. My hope does not come from health--of body or relationships--my hope does not come in financial prosperity or academic endeavor, for all of those things are of temporary nature. 
When this understanding begins to take root in the inner recesses of my soul,
I will be freed from the need to be known and understood and recognized
because as I savor God, I will profoundly understand that I am known and understood by God.
and that is enough. 


2 comments:

  1. This was exactly what my heart needed to hear today. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BEAUTIFUL post. Just wow. Thank you for posting this!

    ReplyDelete