Wednesday, March 7, 2012

a letter to learn from: genuine

"Accordingly, though I am bold enough in Christ to command you to do what is required, yet for love's sake I prefer to appeal to you--
I, Paul, and old man now and now a prisoner also for Christ Jesus--
I appeal to you for my child Onesimus, whose father I became in my imprisonment.
...I preferred to do nothing without your consent in order that your goodness
might might not be by compulsion
but of your own accord."
~Apostle Paul to Philemon
Philemon 8-10, 14

I love how relevant the Bible is. 
I am reminded daily that is alive and active, sharper than any double edged sword (Hebrews 4:12) and although they are ancient words of truth, because it is the Truth and it is alive and active, it will always be relevant to our lives at all times. 
This is no exception. 

As I read this letter from Paul to a brother in Christ, he is making a plea. 
He is pleading on behalf of a transformed brother in Christ. 
It is clear that although separated physically, Paul has the authority and strength of influence to ask something of Philemon and see results. He has the authority to 'command it be done' but he chooses something different--he chooses to appeal. 
This is not emotional manipulation, but rather a spiritual exhortation so as to impact Philemon's understanding of the situation as a whole that he may make the best decision according to God's perfect plan of brotherhood in the Body of Christ. 
Paul understands that coerced love is not genuine love. 
Love must not be the result of feelings or emotion because that is sure to change. 
Love must not be a result of coercion because that will end in resentment. 
Love must be a choice. 
If love is to be genuine, if love is to be sincere, if love is to be beneficial and fulfilling, 
love must be a choice. 

Join me today in making a choice. 
I pray that you too will have a desire to love those and accept those for who God is transforming them to be. I pray that my heart would see the new creation rather than the flawed human soul my heart is so inclined to see. I pray that we would see and celebrate the evidences of grace and that as a result, we would choose to love. Not out of coercion but out of obedience to Christ. Not out of manipulation but out of genuine love....
the way Christ has loved us. 

"Therefore, be imitators of God, as beloved children. And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God." 
(Ephesians 5:1,2)

"Let love be genuine...." 
(Romans 12:9a)

Forget not that you are loved. 
Forget not that you are forgiven. 
Forget not that God has a choice in both matters
as do you. 
May the love of God change you.
May you live forgiven. 
May you forgive that you may live. 
May you love genuinely. 

blessed. 
tiffany 

No comments:

Post a Comment