Sunday, November 11, 2012

What if?

The kids dragged their feet as they brushed their teeth and struggled to follow directions with joyful and willing hearts. The grumbling was not discreet and their lack of desire for family Bible time was evident. As we gathered around, snuggled warmly beneath our blankets, some snuggled next to Dad as we opened to Paul's letter to the Colossians. The furnace worked quietly to heat the air around us and the dishwasher purred as it cleaned the dishes that we used just hours before around the family dinner table, full of warm food and delicious dessert. We gave little thought to the Bibles open in our laps or the padded floor or sofas we sat on. We did not fear for our saftey as we gathered for prayer and Bible reading. We did not secretly gather earlier this morning as we pulled into a church parking lot full of nice cars. As we sat upon cushioned pews wearing our Sunday best, we lifted our voices freely to the God on High, giving little to no thought of the gift we have to worship openly. When the service was finished, we all exited the building--not taking turns over the course of hours so as not to alert anyone of possible church activity, but rather freely, with Bibles in plain view and the Word fresh in our minds.

As we gathered around the Word of God tonight, we were humbled by Paul's words...
'Continue steadfastly in prayer,
being watchful in it with thanksgiving.
At the same time, pray also for us, that God may
open to us a door for the Word, 
to declare the mystery of Christ, 
on account of which I am in prison--
that I may make it clear, which is how I ought to speak.

I, Paul, write this greeting with my own hand. 
Remember my chains. 
Grace be with you.'
Colossians 4:2-4, 18

Paul was not shaming those not imprisoned for the Gospel. Paul was simply and directly reminding them to pray, to remember and to give thanks. 
I love what Paul's request for prayer is: opportunity to share the Word of God and the ability to share it well in the midst of his imprisonment. 
He was not asking for prayer regarding his release--although this is not wrong. 
He was not asking for prayer regarding his health or safety--although these are also great to pray for. 
While these things may have been on his prayer list, his main 'concern' was that his circumstances would not snuff out the opportunities to share or his desire to share the life giving, liberating Gospel of Peace. 
While in a dungeon of a cell, his spirit longed for others to know what true freedom really was. 

As I think about my own life and the call to public ministry I have, I have to ask myself how different my days would be if I had people praying like this for me. If I prayed like this for me...my husband...my children. How would the landscapes of our lives and workplaces and homes and churches change if our hearts were drawn beyond our circumstances to glorifiying God in the midst of them? How different would this world be if we were faithful to remember those in chains--right now--for the sake of the Gospel? What if we took the time to stop and pray for those meeting in secret, for those hiding their precious Bibles, for those smuggling the sacred Word so that all may know and all may hear? 
What if we too, stepped out in boldness, and dared to share the Truth with someone in need of hope? What if I stopped making excuses for my silence and spoke the Gospel of peace with love and conviction? What about that person with the cubicle next to my husband's going through a divorce? What about the mother down the road struggling to raise her kids alone? What about my husband's co-workers and the Schwans man who stops by once a month? 
What if I started to pray for opportunities to share the life giving freedom of Christ? 
What if I remembered to pray for those in chains? 

What if? 

No comments:

Post a Comment